Saturday, August 13, 2011

A final farewell to Mumbai...

Wednesday, August 10th
    I’m so bummed!  I went to have top made that is to be worn under my sari.  They can’t have it made by Friday.  It’s my own fault for not ordering it sooner. 
Thursday, August 11
    I did some marketing videos today at the center.  It was actually pretty fun.  It was just me standing there talking about different trading subjects.  Brandon was in the office next door and as they were counting down, he did his best to make me laugh.  It worked.  They had to start over.  When we got back to the apartment, Priya had made an awesome home cooked meal for all of us.  It was delicious!  The three of us drank some champagne and played India Monopoly.  So fun…instead of Boradwalk and Park Place they have Mumbai and Delhi. 
Friday, August 12
    I can’t believe this is my last day!  Priya, Brandon, Charmaine and I went to the Tasting Room for dinner.  It was lovely.  Well, except for Priya’s fish.  I think it made her sick.  Brandon has to work in the morning so Charmaine and I hit the Blue Frog for a few drinks.  It’s a really fun night club. 
Saturday, August 13, 2011
    My last day!!  I went by the center to say goodbye to everyone.  I feel so blessed to know the people I’ve met here.  They are absolutely amazing.  Their kindness and hospitality go above and beyond.   I will miss my new friends, their warm greetings, and contagious smiles.  I will also miss the 9:30 am Indian breakfasts and seeing all the beautiful kurtas.
    This evening Brandon and I went to the ‘pharmacy’ to get some things for Priya; she’s been unwell.  They are walk-up drug stores and prescriptions are not required.  On our way I noticed children playing cricket in the open spaces between buildings while one man rested on top of a wagon.  Others were busy working; some sat on the streets and chatted with one another.  At one shop a man had a knife sharpener powered by a bicycle.  They work hard in conditions unacceptable to us, but they don’t know any other way.  They seem happy. 
    We walked through the streets sampling various foods and drink along the way.  We shared an Almond Masala Milk, unpasteurized milk with almonds floating in it.  It was quite good.  The woman behind the counter had a broad smile, every other tooth missing.  Her eyes told her story; she was happy that we were there. Several proprietors insisted that we taste their foods.  The people were delighted to offer things to us. One man asked me to take his picture.  I was honored to do so.
    I had walked through this area before, but that day I looked and couldn’t see.  There is so much here.  I was looking on the surface and failed to see the true beauty which only lies in the heart.  Mumbai has heart…it’s people. 
    I don’t think I am saying goodbye, but maybe see you later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment