Sunday, July 31, 2011

July 29-30

Friday, July 29
    I sat alone in the backseat watching the rain drizzle down the window.   Outside a woman on the back of a scooter huddled against the driver, trying to shield herself from the monsoon rains.  Pedestrians navigated the wet sidewalks, dodging both puddles and umbrellas.    Tarps did little to keep the make-shift stores dry, but their proprietors seemed undeterred.  This is daily life in Bombay during this season.    
    As we approached my destination, the streets became cleaner, the stores permanent, the businesses more upscale.  Once through the gate, my door was opened and I was directed to the Kapoor home.  A servant greeted me with a warm smile as I entered the magnificent entry way.  Oil paintings and beautiful artwork outlined with gold covered the walls; statues sat on the floor giving it an elegant yet warm feeling.
    I was shown into the living room where I was greeted by Priya.  From this room I could see the waves of the sea tumbling over to create small white caps.  We walked through the sliding glass doors and onto a rounded balcony covered with plants and beautiful statues.  I stood looking at the palm trees and listening to the sound of the sea.
    Charmaine and Rethie joined us later.  We sat in the living room enjoying a lot of laughs while being served cocktails and snacks.   Priya’s mom, a delightful woman joined us for a drink.  With a thick English accent, Charmaine shared a story about having a tarot reading.  Her cards were selected by a parrot (there was also a mouse there, but she assumes she wasn’t ‘mouse worthy’).  After dropping 5 cards, the parrot finally selected one.  She was then told that ‘she was meant to be a man, but it’s ok’.  I laughed so much my stomach hurt.  She went on to discuss the uniqueness of McDonalds in India.  “Where else in the world do you have a ketchup squeezer; someone who is actually hired to do nothing except stand and squeeze your ketchup?”
    Dinner was served, a delicious meal with many choices including a chicken casserole, bread, salad, rice and a spicy gravy.  After dinner we went to a going away party for Nin who was leaving for London the next morning.  Nin has been in India for 18 months, but her visa is ready to expire. 
Saturday, July 30
    I awoke in the Kapoor guest room where I was served breakfast on a tea cart.  Priya joined me but she only ate a small roll while I devoured the scrambled eggs and toast.  I made a mental note to learn to say ‘scrambled’ in Hindi.  Rakesh is a good cook, but I can’t always express what I want. 
In the afternoon we headed down to the waterfront in Apollo Bunder to see the Gateway to India, Mumbai's most famous monument.  This triumphal arch made of basalt stone was built to commemorate the visit of King George V and Queen Mary.
    Across the street sits the famous Taj Mahal Palace Hotel.  The detailed architecture and magnitude of this place reminded me of Paris.  Priya pointed out the difference in the windows from where they had repaired the destruction from the 2008 bombings.  Afterwards we had lunch at Khyber, a very popular Indian restaurant.   The restaurant had a free standing marble staircase leading to our table on the balcony.   I had a Caipiroska , my favorite Indian cocktail, which is similar to a vodka mojito.
Priya ordered for us: Mutton chop Mughlai and kheema seekh kebob, tangi kabob , pudina tikka, and reshma kebob (chicken & lamb kabobs) and Roomali & Lachha Paratha (Indian breads).  We shared a small dish of Indian ice cream, which is amazing.   All of the food here is delicious and nothing like the so called Indian food I’ve had in the US. 
    We went back to the Kapoor family home to watch a movie.  We were served tea while we did our nails.  Neither of us were interested in the movie so we headed to a small department store called Parsons.  Priya needed to pick up some party supplies for Brandon’s birthday party.  I find these places so interesting because there are many things I’ve never seen before.   Priyas driver took me back to the apartment in time for dinner, a very tasty oriental noodle dish.  I stayed up until midnight chatting on skype, doing laundry, packing and playing on the internet.  Four am is going to come too early.  The train to Gujrat leaves at 5:45 am.

Click this link for my pictures:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment